Semi-Daily Journal Archive

The Blogspot archive of the weblog of J. Bradford DeLong, Professor of Economics and Chair of the PEIS major at U.C. Berkeley, a Research Associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research, and former Deputy Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Treasury.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Why Oh Why Were We Ruled by These Lunatics? (The Chapel of Kings College, Cambridge, Edition)

May I say that Henry VI Lancaster was a true loon?

The Kings College Chapel at Cambridge--half a gothic cathedral built for a congregation that was to consist of a rector and twelve scholars (twelve apostles, you see). There are lots of other places where half a gothic cathedral could have been much more useful. Sheesh.

On the other hand, two other kings--Richard III and Henry VII--followed through to complete the project: three royal loons.

And the Tudor dragons are truly cool. I am really sorry that they were replaced by unicorns when James I Stuart succeeded Elizabeth I Tudor.

And how come I have never seen this before? I am 45, after all...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home