Semi-Daily Journal Archive

The Blogspot archive of the weblog of J. Bradford DeLong, Professor of Economics and Chair of the PEIS major at U.C. Berkeley, a Research Associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research, and former Deputy Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Treasury.

Monday, June 12, 2006

"Lazy-Minded Evangelical Romanticism." That's Good. "Spared Major Embarrassment... by the Slightness of My Own Reputation." That's Better.

Crawling out of the pages of National Review is something I never thought I would see:

The lazy-minded evangelico-romanticism of George W. Bush, the bureaucratic will to power of Donald Rumsfeld, the avuncular condescension of Dick Cheney, and the reflexive military deference of Colin Powell combined to get us into a situation we never wanted to be in, a situation no self-respecting nation ought to be in.... The place we are at is surely not a place anyone in 2003 wanted us to be at--not even Vic Davis Hanson.... I am spared major embarrassment not only by the slightness of my own reputation, as by the fact that... I never thought much of the nation-building exercise that followed.... My fault was in not grasping the scale of the administration’s multiculturalist ambitions...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home