Semi-Daily Journal Archive

The Blogspot archive of the weblog of J. Bradford DeLong, Professor of Economics and Chair of the PEIS major at U.C. Berkeley, a Research Associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research, and former Deputy Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Treasury.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Why Oh Why Can't We Have a Better Press Corps? (Gene Epstein of Barrons Tries to Strike Back Edition)

Where in the Holy Name of the One Who Is does the print media find such people?

And why in the Holy Name of the One Who Is does it employ them?

I wrote:

Brad DeLong's Semi-Daily Journal: Finance I (Remedial) (Why Oh Why Can't We Have a Better Press Corps?): Tyler Cowen did a bad thing in recommending Econospinning, by Gene Epstein:

Marginal Revolution: Econospinning: Imagine lengthy polemics against the use of numbers in the work of Paul Krugman (most of all), the Op-Ed page of The Wall Street Journal, Brad DeLong, Steve Levitt, and Barbara Ehrenreich, among others. Except the vehicle isn't the blogosphere, it is a book!...

I open the book at random and get page 143...

Econospinning author Gene Epstein writes back, more than confirming all my initial negative impressions.

The third sentence I write--the third sentence--is a quote from Tyler Cowen saying that Gene Epstein's Econospinning contains "lengthy polemics against the use of numbers in the work of... Brad DeLong."

Yet Epstein has the stupids to claim that I fail to "make due acknowledgment... [that I am] mentioned critically in [his] book."

Brad DeLong's Semi-Daily Journal: Finance I (Remedial) (Why Oh Why Can't We Have a Better Press Corps?): [DeLong's] sweeping dismissal of my book... falls far short of [DeLong's] own standard. Just for starters, I needn't tell him that a reviewer of a book should always make due acknowledgment when he himself is mentioned critically in that book...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home