Semi-Daily Journal Archive

The Blogspot archive of the weblog of J. Bradford DeLong, Professor of Economics and Chair of the PEIS major at U.C. Berkeley, a Research Associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research, and former Deputy Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Treasury.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Paul Krugman Smackdown Watch

What Paul Krugman is reading:

A Few Notes on Income Inequality - Krugman - NYT Web Journal: What I'm Reading

  • "The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money," by John Maynard Keynes: An economic classic that I'm rereading for the first time in, I think, 30 years. There's a reason: I've been asked to write the introduction to a new, 70th anniversary edition. And I have to say that this time around I'm finding depths I was too callow to appreciate when younger. This is truly a profound book, one that changed the world for the better.
  • "The Republican War on Science," by Chris Mooney: There's a man who doesn't hide his views. But Mr. Mooney needs to be listened to. Among other things, he wrote a piece for The American Prospect a few months ago titled "Thinking big about hurricanes: It's time to get serious about saving New Orleans." Alas, nobody listened.
  • "The Algebraist," by Iain M. Banks: Hey, it can't be all work and no play. Science fiction - specifically, Isaac Asimov's Foundation - is what got me into economics in the first place. Mr. Banks, a Scot who isn't that well known in the United States, is probably my favorite contemporary science-fiction writer. If you're interested, I'd suggest "Use of Weapons" as an introduction.

  • I have to smack Paul Krugman down. "Use of Weapons" is not a suitable introduction to the fiction of Iain M. Banks. No no no no no no no. "Use of Weapons," with its amazing protagonist--the man known as Cheradenine Zakalwe--and its interesting excursions into furniture design must only be read by trained professionals. I would recommend "The Player of Games" or "Inversions" or "Consider Phlebas" for a neophyte.

    But not "Use of Weapons." No no no no no no no.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home